Denny International Middle School welcomes your involvement. There are many opportunities throughout the year, both ongoing and short term, to share of your time and talents. Any contribution is appreciated!
Studies show that students are more successful in Middle School when parents are involved and show an interest, even though most of our middle year students would like to assert their independence!
Looking for ideas?
- Volunteer in the classroom. Ask your student’s teachers what you can do to help.
- Chaperone a field trip (or even a school dance!)
- Join the PTSA. The PTSA coordinates many community building and fundraising activities. Everyone’s help is needed to make them a success.
- Help students with their Science lab trials. (March-April after school) Contact Lisa Kelleher email@example.com
- Be a Science Fair judge. (Judging occurs in spring.) Contact Lisa Kelleher firstname.lastname@example.org
- Encourage and support your student during the Read-a-thon. (November)
- Help to sort donated books into the proper reading levels. Contact Jeff Treistman at email@example.com
- Donate age appropriate books that your family no longer uses. Contact Jeff Treistman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donate to The Closet. Contact Amber Brown email@example.com
Working together we help all of our students succeed.
In order to provide a safe environment for all of our students, volunteers need to complete paperwork for a background screening.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!